NEW DELHI: The coronaviru death toll in India stood at 681 on Thursday morning with the total number of cases rising to 21,393, as per the Union health ministry update. A total of 5,00542 samples from 4,85,172 individuals were tested as on April 23 morning. Out of which 21,797 samples were confirmed positive, says Indian Council of Medical Research.
Here is a look at the updates from major cities of India on the outbreak of coronavirus —
- Ministry of Civil Aviation has designated Delhi International Airport as major hub for import and distribution of Covid-19 related medical essentials.
- Shahi Imam of Delhi's Jama Masjid urges people to stay indoors during the holy month of Ramzan and offer prayers at home in view of lockdown.
- Rapid Action Force (RAF) and police deployed at Delhi-Noida border to ensure smooth movement of traffic.
- Tamil Nadu minister Sellur K Raju and Madurai district collector Dr TG Vinay in Madurai felicitated sanitation workers, who are carrying out their duties during lockdown. The workers were also given groceries and cleaning supplies.
- Vice president M Venkaiah Naidu on Wednesday inquired with chief minister Edappadi K Palaniswami about the preventive measures taken against the spread of novel coronavirus.
- After letting up for two days, the city police have resumed their crackdown on those violating lockdown norms for non-essential work.
- Food at all Amma canteens in Chennai to be free till May 3 because of donations made by people which will support the food and other costs.
- Don't panic over Centre's Covid-19 projections for Mumbai: Rajesh Tope.
- The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) on Thursday authorised all hospitals to extend contract period of their employees whose contracts are expiring in near future.
- Transporters fear that the truck driver population could dwindle the day after the lockdown is lifted as many are eager to return to their native villages.
- Over five lakh white ration card holders are yet to receive the Rs 1,500 financial assistance. Senior officials said bank account numbers of 5.26 lakh card holders are either not available or are not functional. The Telangana government is now trying to reach them through the postal department.
- Telangana CM K Chandrasekhar Rao has expressed hope the spread of Covid-19 in the state may see a decline due to the strict implementation of lockdown rule and containment measures undertaken when a positive case is identified.
- About 40 people from Andhra Pradesh and Odisha, who had come for a wedding, are stuck with the host at his house for over a month in Telangana's Sangareddy district.
- The junior doctors of Lala Lajpat Rai and Kanshiram hospitals refused to use Chinese PPE kits on Tuesday claiming them to be substandard.
- The number of coronavirus cases continues to rise in Kanpur with six more people on Wednesday evening testing positive, taking the total cases to 83 in the district.
- Another day of 100-plus cases took UPs Covid tally to 1,465 on Wednesday even as 11 persons were discharged after recovery.
- Congress general secretary for Uttar Pradesh Priyanka Gandhi Vadra on Thursday urged the UP government to announce a relief package for Lucknow's 'chikankari' industry, saying it has been badly hit by the lockdown.
- The main thoroughfare near FD block in Salt Lake was cordoned off after reports of new Covid-19 cases in Kolkata.
- West Bengal governor Jagdeep Dhankhar urges CM Mamata Banerjee to ensure free passage to the central team.
- The central team visits Rajarhat quarantine centre in Kolkata.
- Around 250 people of the United Kingdom who were stranded in India amid lockdown, left for their country from Sri Guru Ram Dass Jee International Airport in Amritsar on a special British Airways flight.
- Haryana deputy chief minister Dushyant Chautala reiterated that the state government is committed to bringing the economy back on track in a phased manner.
Read More – Source