Netanyahu warns of crushing retaliation after Hezbollah chiefs remarks

34

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday warned the head of Lebanons Tehran-backed Hezbollah that “crushing” retaliation would follow any attack, after its leader said the groups rockets could reach Tel Aviv.

“Over the weekend we heard (Hassan) Nasrallahs boasting about his attack plans,” he said at the start of the weekly cabinet meeting.

“Let me be clear – if Hezbollah dares to make the mistake of attacking Israel, we will lay upon it and on Lebanon a crushing military blow,” he added.

In a Friday interview broadcast on Hezbollahs Al-Manar television, Nasrallah warned that key Israeli sites along the Mediterranean coast, including Tel Aviv, were “within range of our rockets.”

The head of the Lebanese group also said that Israels arch-foe Iran was “able to bombard Israel with ferocity and force,” but “will not start a war.”

Last week, Netanyahu said that “Iran has been threatening the destruction of Israel” and warned that Israels fighter jets “can reach anywhere in the Middle East, including Iran.”

Hezbollah is considered to be a terrorist organisation by the United States, and is the only faction not to have disarmed after Lebanons 1975-1990 civil war.

But it is also a major political player in the small Mediterranean country, taking 13 seats in parliament last year and securing three posts in the current cabinet.

Israel has carried out hundreds of strikes in neighboring Syria against what it says are Iranian and Hezbollah military targets. It has vowed to keep Iran from entrenching itseRead More – Source

Comments are closed.